Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I have been eyeing framed chalkboards on Pinterest for a week. Naturally I wanted one for myself. 


My apartment kitchen/dining area had nothing on the walls. I thought a chalkboard would be a cute way to brighten the white walls.

I found an old (large) picture frame at a thrift store. They were having a half-off sale which made the deal extra great. The fake pictures in the frame of families from the 70's were begging for a redo. I would have liked a frame with some more design, but maybe next time. 

I took glass out of the frame. I then sanded the frame and painted it a bright acrylic blue paint. I then painted the glass with chalkboard paint. It took two layers in order to cover the glass. Once everything had dried, I rubbed chalk over the entire board in order to prep the chalkboard. Once that's done, reassemble the frame and write whatever you feel like.

It might be a fun way for my roommate and I to leave each other fun notes, write groceries to get, inspiring quotes, or just doodle... 


I used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Chalkboard Acrylic Craft Paint and Americana Acrylic Paint in Indian Turquoise both from Michael's. I used a regular paintbrush, but I think using a foam brush would give you a smoother finish on the chalkboard.

Give it a try! See how you like your new chalkboard.

1 comment:

  1. I really like it Rita! And I love what you have written on it right now too! I wish my handwriting could look that cute on chalkboards!! :)

    Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

    ReplyDelete