Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Process Continues . . .

The apartment decorating is coming along nicely. Not my dream decor, but apartments with white wall are limiting... as is my post college budget. But I love having a place that feels like home. The bathroom was improved with the addition of a cute striped curtain I purchase for approximately $3 from Target on sale after Valentine's Day. Apparently this pattern is V-Day exclusive... who knew? Anyway, I bought it and have held onto it for over 5 months knowing it would be useful sometime in the future. 
The yellow stripes are nicely tied into the pineapple colored rug which I also found at Target. I am kind of on a yellow kick right now! My mom would be so proud since it's always been her favorite. Fear not! I have NOT pushed aside pink. Its just being appreciated alongside yellow for now.

The bedroom has also been improved upon since move in day. You can see the home I have given to the white rhino on top of my espresso colored dresser, along with a white ceramic bowl I found for $1.50 at a thrift store. 

Now my roommate will likely tell you that she is pleased to see my bed off the ground. Up until Saturday night, my mattress and I had been camping out on the floor. However, my dear friend Brie from Breezy Pink Daisies went with me to IKEA and I found a lovely little pine bed for under $40! It's the Fjellse bed (don't ask me to pronounce that!). Very basic, but I'm hoping to someday upgrade my twin bed to a larger size.  

Besides, the plain wood has caused my to start thinking of ways I can create a DIY headboard. I've been thinking something along the lines of woven ribbon? There is also the option to stain the bed. I didn't want to spend money on a black or brown frame that wouldn't match my espresso shelf and dresser. 

The bed was actually very easy to assemble and light to carry. In the last picture, you can see how basic the frame is, but my quilt is long enough to cover it nicely. Yes, I do still have a lot of pink in my room, but I really love the quilt and it's texture. Besides, if I ever decide to get married, my husband might not like a pink bedroom. I'm trying to take advantage of this freedom while I'm still young and independent.

As a side note, I realize I'm a little late to the game, but I just started using Pinterest. Feel free to check out what I've been pinning at Pinterest.com/ritainthecity.

1 comment:

  1. You should show a before picture of your bathroom! it looks so awesome now! Amazing what a shower curtain and rug can do!!

    Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

    ReplyDelete